This is the Best Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Why do I say that? Well just look at that golden cake, topped with juicy pineapple slices, sweet maraschino cherries and a yummy brown sugar topping. And the best part? It’s a cake mix. Yes indeed.
This post may contains affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure Policy for the details.
We use cake mixes every now and then to make a hectic schedule easier. Life should be easy right? Our Italian Almond Biscotti is just such a recipe – it’s one of our faves, and comes from a famous chef in Italy!
Do you know this is the very first time I’ve baked a Pineapple Upside Down Cake? No really! I always see so many recipes for these yummy cakes everywhere and everyone loves them. NOW I know why!
That yummy, buttery brown sugar that sinks into the bottom (top?) of this amazing Pineapple Upside Down Cake and mixes with the pineapple and cherries, well I’m a believer now!
And because it’s baked in a 13 X 9 pan, so easy to make and take to our next family get together, you can make it literally in minutes!
So what is a Pineapple Upside Down Cake?
It really is only a few ingredients. There are lots of recipes out there, mine is based on one from Betty Crocker, and there are other good ones too.
HOW TO MAKE A PERFECT PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Melt butter in the bottom of your 13 X 9 pan and then generously sprinkle brown sugar, covering the bottom of the pan.
Next place the pineapple slices, and insert the maraschino cherries in the middle of the slices.
In a separate bowl, mix up your favorite yellow cake mix. They usually call for eggs and oil. Pour the cake batter over all and smooth the top.
Pop in the oven and bake at 350F/180C for 42 to 48 minutes.
When you take it out of the oven, invert the cake onto a heat proof plate right away, leaving the pan in place so that the lovely butter and brown sugar drizzle down into the cake.
That’s it! Easy Peasy. And you have the yummiest cake to serve to family and friends. Only you will know how easy it was to bake!
If you like this recipe please give it a 5 star rating.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 can pineapple slices 20 ounces, drained and reserve the juice
- 1 jar maraschino cherries without stems, 6 ounce jar, drained
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
- 3 eggs large
- Heat oven to 350F/180C
- In a 13 x 9"square pan, melt the butter in the oven
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter
- Arrange pineapple slices on the brown sugar
- Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice
- (you can place the rest of the cherries around the slices, pressing gently into the brown sugar)
- Add enough water to the pineapple juice to measure 1 cup
- Make the cake batter as directed, using the pineapple juice mixture instead of water
- Pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries
- Bake 40 to 48 minutes (or until the cake is golden and a toothpick comes out clean)
- Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the side of the pan to loosen the cake
- Place a heatproof plate upside down on the pan and using oven mitts turn the plate and pan over
- Leave the pan on top of the cake for 5 minutes so that the brown sugar and butter drizzle over the cake
- Remove the pan and cool for 30 minutes
- You can serve the cake warm or cool
- Store covered in the fridge
- Easy as Pie!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE….
- Apple Pie Lasagna
- Mom’s Apple Crisp
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Tomato Soup Cake Spice Muffins
- Homemade Date Squares
- How To Set Up a Pantry
- Starbucks (copycat) Lemon Loaf
This is the best Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe we’ve made yet. Let me know in the comments below if you make it!
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.