A Harvey Wallbanger Cake? Like the Harvey Wallbanger Cocktail?
In the slow cooker to boot, and you can whip up this cake in 20 minutes flat, from zero to pouring that lovely cake batter into the pan.
We’ve got a step by step video for you too, in the recipe below!
And then the magic.
Slow Cooker Magic that is.
Have you made a cake in your Slow Cooker yet? Well what are you waiting for?
I’ve made the creamiest cheesecakes and now the most delicious ‘sponge’ as Mary says on the Great British Baking Show. (love that show)
So what or who is Harvey Wallbanger? A cocktail that became popular in the 70’s includes vodka, Orange Juice and Galliano.
Galliano is a delicious Italian liqueur that has a light vanilla flavor to it. Garnished with maraschino cherries. Yum. Yum.
Just like a Harvey Wallbanger recipe, many cake recipes out there, include vodka and a lot of Galliano.
This Harvey Wallbanger Cake Recipe includes 3 tbsp. of Galliano in total. That’s all.
Now quick and easy desserts are what we’re all about here at Pie Lady Bakes. You will love this recipe:
- Cake mix
- Instant pudding
- Orange juice
Mix it all up and put in a baking pan. I used my 7” spring form pan, the one that fits in both my slow cooker and Instant Pot. I love the shape.
This recipe is adapted from the gals at the Fix It and Forget It Cookbook. I love their recipes and have tried several of them.
The secret to using a slow cooker to bake is to make sure the moisture gets whisked away from the cake.
So to address that, a tip is to top the slow cooker with several sheets of paper towel, just underneath the lid. Leaving the lid slightly ajar also helps.
Now here is something I did not think of. That half way through cooking, to rotate my cake pan so that it gets golden all around.
And to adjust the lid so that steam comes out the opposite side. This will give you a cake that is well baked and golden all over.
The orange glaze on this Harvey Wallbanger Cake is a yummy confection of vanilla instant pudding, icing sugar, orange juice and Galliano.
Isn’t it beautiful?
Light vanilla flavors, mixed with orange for a zesty combination. The cake and glaze have instant vanilla pudding mixed in. Now I think that is magical in itself.
Be sure to let the cake cook completely, before you apply the glaze. I think even putting the cake in the refrigerator for an hour is a great idea.
So that’s it. A Harvey Wallbanger Cake.
Beautifully Simple and Simply Beautiful.
A Harvey Wallbanger Cake? Like the Harvey Wallbanger Cocktail? A deliciously rich vanilla cake, with orange and maraschino cherries.
- 1 box vanilla pound cake mix, 16 oz
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vanilla instant pudding
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 2 tbsp Galliano Liqueur
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- vanilla instant pudding, remainder of box for Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 2/3 cup orange juice , For Glaze
- 1 tbsp Galliano Liqueur, For Glaze
- Mix together the first six ingredients for the cake.
- Pour batter into a well greased loaf or cake pan that will fit inside your Slow Cooker. (I used my 7" springform pan)
- Place pan in the bottom of the slow cooker
- Put several sheets of paper towel just underneath the slow cooker lid to absorb excess moisture
- Bake in the covered slow cooker on High for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours (mine was baked at 3 hours)
- Invert cake onto a serving platter and let cool thoroughly - you may wish to refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes
- Mix together the glaze ingredients and spoon over cake. Decorate with sliced oranges and maraschino cherries!
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.