Apple Pie is the ultimate comfort food and this easy apple pie recipe is no exception.
My mom used to say “apple pie without cheese, is like a kiss without a squeeze”. I loved to hear her say that more than anything! Fall is just around the corner and that’s means apple picking season is too!
You won’t believe how easy it is to make this pie!
Published on August 16, 2016, and updated Jun 24, 2018 and May 10, 2019
Just thinking about the amazing aromas from a pie baking in my kitchen evokes strong memories of cozy family suppers,and the comforts of home. Come to think of it, this sweet little apple pie has created some very wonderful memories!
What’s your favorite topping on apple pie? Whipping cream, ice cream, sprinkles, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, funfetti?
Or are you like me, prefer your homemade apple pie straight up, slightly warm, those fragrant aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and brown sugar….hmmmm, getting hungry? Then let’s bake a pie!
How To Bake an Apple Pie
If you have never baked a pie before there are a few things you will need to be successful! So in addition to the ingredients list below you will need:
Pie Baking Equipment:
- a rolling pin
- pastry mat
- pastry cutter
- apple peeler
- sharp knife
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- a large wooden spoon to mix the filling
- mixing bowls – large and a medium one
Recently I traveled to visit friends and on my way decided my best contribution to dinner would be an apple pie.
My friend Jon loves to bake and has all of the tools, so I knew that he would have lots of flour to work with!.
I popped in to the local grocery store before my arrival and picked up:
- 5 lb bag of apples
- Dark brown sugar
- Butter (for the pastry)
Using an Old Fashioned Apple Peeler!
What I didn’t have nor had I used before was an old-fashioned apple peeler – you know the kind that you crank by hand? Well I must say I was a bit skeptical, but Jon convinced me and we were off. Enough apples peeled in minutes!
I think using an apple peeler saves about 15 minutes off the prep time too! All that’s left to do is core the apples, and slice. I try to slice the apples fairly evenly so that they will cook well too.
Once the pastry dough is made – and this is really an easy recipe and process to follow, all you need to do is mix up the apples while the dough is chilling (usually about 30 minutes).
Rolling out pastry dough is so relaxing to me – yes I know a real pie geek! I just love to bake pies.
I like to use a pastry mat – that shows the measurements or keep the pie plate nearby – to help guide you with the size.
You can finish your pastry once you have the pie crust in the bottom of the pie plate, by holding the plate by the bottom and cut the pastry along the edge of the pie plate with a knife. Then flute the edges using your fingers.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST APPLE PIE EVER!
- Follow the instructions exactly.
- This video shows you how to roll out the pie crust. Make sure you let it rest before adding the apple pie filling.
- My students have asked why their top crusts puff up so high when baking and the fruit sinks – leaving a huge cavity.
Here’s why. The top pie crust cooks and becomes hard – but the apples cook down much more slowly.
The solution? Par cook your apples (before mixing in the spices and sugar) in the microwave at 3 minute intervals just to soften them.
Then mix in the sugar and spices, add some lemon juice and I always mix in cornstarch and I’ve included that in my recipe.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST APPLE PIE FAQS
How do you make apple pie from scratch?
Why is my apple pie runny?
Why do my apples sink to the bottom?
What apples work best for apple pie?
And the end result? A beautiful golden, mouth-watering apple pie. The perfect gift for your host and hostess!
Here is the recipe. If you enjoy it as much as I do, please leave a 5 star rating. xo
Mom's Apple Pie is just the best, right? So we put together this very easy apple pie recipe, that is perfect for beginner bakers. If you have every wondered "how do I make an apple pie?" then this is the recipe for you!
- 6 apples, medium, use two varieties
- ½ c white sugar
- ½ c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ c Butter
- ½ lemon , fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg , and 1 tbsp. water - for the egg wash at the end
- 2 9" pie crust , Pastry dough for a two crust pie - use frozen or make it from scratch! recipe is here
- Mix the apples, white and brown sugar, cornstarch, flour and cinnamon until the apples are fully coated.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest
- Place the apple filling into the bottom pie crust and spread evenly - I like to pile it up in the center too!
- Dot with the butter
- Cover the apples with pie crust. I like to use a lattice pie crust for apple pies because I believe they bake more evenly.
- You can also create cute pie crust cutouts to decorate your pie!
- Beat the egg in a small cup and a Tbsp. of water. This is the egg wash that you brush on the top of the piecrust and edges to give it a lovely golden colour.
- Bake in the bottom third of a 350F/180C degree oven for 45-55 minutes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Harringdons Kitchen Dish Towels Set of 12-Tea Towels 100% Cotton. Large Dish Cloths 28"x20" Soft and Absorbent. White with Blue, Green and red Stripes, 4 of Each. There's no Substitute for Quality
- Cast Magnesium Apple/Potato Peeler Corer by Spiralizer, Durable Heavy Duty Die Cast Magnesium Alloy Peelers
- DoughEZ Extra Large 17.5 x 32 Non-Slip Silicone Pastry Dough Rolling Mat
- Apple Crumble Pie
- Razzleberry Pie
- Upside down Apple Cake
- The easiest pie crust recipe ever!
- A classic pumpkin pie
This Easy Apple Pie Recipe will become your friend.If you follow the step by step instructions exactly, this amazing pie will be a recipe you will turn to again and again, and one that you will pass on to your family. So that they can bake “Mom’s Apple Pie”. Just for you.
After many years of testing, this is by far the best apple pie ever. The flour and cornstarch give the apple filling just the right consistency. Sprinkle the pastry with white sugar before you pop it into the oven!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Easy Apple Pie Recipe – Just for you!
(this post originally appeared in Sprinkles and Sprouts as a guest post)