This old fashioned apple crisp is so rich and full of sweetness it is truly a taste of home. Mom’s Delicious Apple Crisp is one of the easiest recipes I know of, that you can stop by the store on the way home, and present your family with this awesome apple crisp in a matter of minutes. Just core and slice some apples (I often add pears too!) and toss them in a bowl with sugar, butter and some lovely cinnamon. The topping is just as easy, more sugar, oatmeal, butter and cinnamon. The secret to getting a crunchy apple crisp, one that’s bubbling with butter and apple juices is to make sure it bakes to the right temperature. And I show you how in my Tips To Make An Awesome Apple Crisp just below!
This post was originally published on September 4, 2016, updated on July 20, 2018 and November 26, 2018.
You will need: two varieties of apples, bosc pears (optional), brown sugar, white sugar, butter, cinnamon, oatmeal, flour, Grand Marnier Liqueur (optional)
MOM’S DELICIOUS APPLE CRISP BACKSTORY
I like to prepare the apples just like I was getting ready to bake an apple pie. My post about my Mom’s Apple Pie…. shows you what I mean. When you mix the varieties of apples, and the spices, like ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon, the result is amazing! And I always add a little lemon and lemon zest to bring out that sweet, juicy tartness.
This apple crisp is one of those classic recipes that I often make up as I go along! Sometimes I mix in oatmeal, sometimes just flour, and then again I’ll mix both. I think the secret to a great apple crisp is the apples and how you prepare them and also the crunchy sweet topping that is full of butter, brown sugar and other earthly delights!
My mother-in-law was a wonderful baker and this is her recipe. I would often drop in at my in-laws for dinner after work and there was almost always a home baked dessert. As soon as I walked in the door, I knew apple crisp was on that night’s menu! The delicious smells of baked apple, brown sugar and spices created such a wonderfully warm and comforting atmosphere. Home.
A generous square of this sweet dessert, topped with a scoop of ice cream, well you just can’t beat it. And with fall just around the corner, farmer’s markets, local food stands and grocers will be displaying fresh fall apples.
I’ll be making a trip to the country to get those early fall apples, McIntosh, Braeburns, Granny Smiths, and Melbas to name a few. They are so beautiful and smell so good when they are freshly picked. My favorite apple is a McIntosh, and I often blend Granny Smiths with them for baking.
MOM’S DELICIOUS APPLE CRISP FAQ’s
Recipe Rated: Easy.
How do you make good apple crisp from scratch?
- Peel all the apples and slice them thinly
- In a large bowl mix the apples, sugar, butter and spices
- Spread the apple mixture in the bottom of a well greased 13 X 9 baking dish
- Spread the topping over the apples
- Top with pats of butter (I use lots of butter!)
- Bake, let cool and serve with a big ole scoop of ice cream!
What is the difference between apple crisp and apple crumble?
- The difference between an apple crisp and apple crumble is the topping. Apple crisp has oats, sometimes nuts, and bakes with a crunchy top. An apple crumble is usually sugar, flour and butter, so that it crumbles rather than crunches. Ha Ha, I think that makes sense!?
TIPS TO MAKE AN AWESOME APPLE CRISP
- Slice the apples thinly, thick pieces of fruit won’t bake as well
- Grease the baking dish well.
- Follow all of the instructions carefully.
- Make sure all of the apple slices (and pear) are well covered with sugar and spices!
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil loosely over the top of your apple crisp when you put it in the oven. This allows the dish to steam and bake evenly. Remove during the last 15 minutes.
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of You Can Live Rich On Less/Pie Lady Bakes!
IF YOU LIKED THIS APPLE CRISP RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
There are lots of versions of apple crisp recipes for you to try. If you want a Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe, be sure to check out the Ambitious Kitchen!
We have amazing apple recipes here on You Can Live Rich On Less – these are some my favourites!
- Mom’s Apple Pie
- Harvest Apple Galette
- Upside down Apple Cake
- Apple Pie Muffins
- Dutch Apple Pie with Streusel Topping
- Apple Pandowdy
MOM’S DELICIOUS APPLE CRISP
So here you go. The best apple crisp recipe. An old fashioned baked apple dish that is sure to warm the hearts of everyone who tries it. And it will fill your home with a delicious aroma of baked apples and cinnamon sweetness. This easy Apple Crisp recipe evokes memories of childhood, cozy kitchens, and a time of plain simple food. Create some of those memories for your family & friends. That’s my wish for you. xo
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
An easy to make and bake apple dessert, full of crunchy goodness, brown sugar, butter, this fall & winter classic is always a crowd pleaser
- 6 apples, medium
- 2 bosc pears
- ½ c white sugar
- ½ c brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ c Butter
- ½ fresh lemon squeezed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp Grand Marnier Liqueur
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup coarse oatmeal
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease a 9" square baking dish
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples like you would for a pie
- In a large mixing bowl, place the apples, sugars, flour, cinnamon and lemon
- Toss until the apples are well coated
- Place the apple mixture in the bottom of the baking dish spreading it evenly
- Cut the butter into small pieces about the size of a nickel and place them randomly over the top of the apple mixture
- Mix the topping ingredients together in a separate bowl and making sure the butter is spread and mixed well.
- The topping should clump together in your hand.
- Spread the topping thickly over the top of your apple mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 55 minutes or the best timing for your oven.
- Top with freshly whipped cream or ice cream and Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 315 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 40mg Carbohydrates: 54g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 43g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g