Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake Recipe
This Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake Recipe is so delicious- perfect for Brunch or a Potluck! The fresh orange juice and zest give it a light fragrant taste, and the dried cranberries add just the right amount of tartness. The cake is moist and soft, but also has a dense texture like a pound cake. Bundt cakes are always so generous and this one is no exception! You can easily serve 8 people with this amazing cake. This recipe is often called Orange Cranberry Pound Cake and it’s one of my Grandma’s old fashioned cake recipes. I think today the term ‘vintage’ is used, but to me it’s old fashioned goodness. 🙂
This post was originally published January 30, 2017 and updated February 9, 2019.
You will need: flour, sugar, dried cranberries, fresh oranges, eggs, sour milk, baking powder, salt, baking soda, powdered sugar, unsalted butter, heavy cream.
ORANGE CRANBERRY BUNDT CAKE BACKSTORY
This orange cranberry bundt cake recipe comes right out of the family vault circa 1960. I’ve recently discovered an old ledger that was in storage and inside are the most amazing recipes, most handwritten by my beloved Grandma, and also lots of magazine and newspaper clippings. I’m having so much fun going through them.
This Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake Recipe jumped right off the page, so I decided to give it a whirl.
I’m making this cake on a very cold winter day, but it’s so light and delicious you could serve any old time at all. The flavours that come out are just amazing. Fresh orange, tangy cranberry and the cake has this rich, moist almost pound cake like texture.
TIPS TO MAKE A PERFECT ORANGE CRANBERRY BUNDT CAKE
- Choose fresh sweet oranges and make lots of zest
- You can use either fresh or dried cranberries depending upon where you live
- Please follow the instructions exactly
- This time and temperature are perfect for my oven, but always choose the lowest temperature stated
- Let the cake cool completely before adding that sweet orange cranberry glaze!
YOU MAY NEED….
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of You Can Live Rich On Less/Pie Lady Bakes!
I’m baking more cakes and other delectable desserts these days, since my hubby gave me a ✅ Kitchen Aid Pro Mixer for Christmas! Boy oh boy, I don’t know how I managed before. I keep my Kitchen Aid Pro Mixer on a cart, and just wheel it over to the counter whenever I want to use it. Cool huh?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE….
Love Old Fashioned Recipes like this one? Our Old Fashioned Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake is what you’re looking for! These are some of Grandma’s favourites too – just click the image to see the recipe!
Want more of my Grandma’s Old Fashioned Recipes? You can with a copy of my FREE ebook here. Just click the image!
ORANGE CRANBERRY BUNDT CAKE RECIPE
This bundt cake is so rich and dreamy, you will get asked for seconds. And why not, with such a generous cake! I wonder if it would make amazing muffins too? I might try that the next time. Your biggest decision will be whether or not to dress your bundt cake with the Orange Cranberry Glaze or dust with powdered sugar. I went with the Orange Cranberry Glaze and sprinkled lots of Orange Zest on top. You can enjoy this tonight with a cup of herb tea, and there will be lots to package up for some gifts for the kids.
If you like this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating.
We love this vintage Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake. Cranberry Cake Recipes are perfect anytime and when combined with sweet orange flavour this cake is a winner.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup milk* sour see note below
- 1 orange large
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tsp hot water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp cream heavy - 35% milk fat
- 1 tbsp orange juice fresh
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Squeeze the orange and add all of the juice to the sour milk and set aside
- Put the cranberries and leftover orange (remove large bits of pith) and grind fairly fine in your food processor. Set this aside as it will be added to the cake batter at the end.
- Cream butter, sugar and egg yolks together
- Add the sour milk mixture
- Stir in the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- The batter will be quite dense at this point.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff
- Fold in the orange/cranberry mixture into the batter
- Add the beaten egg whites
- Pour the batter into the greased bundt pan
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a plate and then invert again so that it is top side up.
- While the cake is baking mix up the glaze to have it ready to pour on the cake once it has cooled for about 10 - 15 minutes. The cake will still be warm enough for the glaze to nicely melt into the cracks and crevices on top.
Note: To make 1 cup (250 mL) sour milk for baking, use 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL). Stir and let stand for 5 minutes before using. This will give the right amount of acidity for the recipe.
If you enjoyed this orange cranberry bundt cake recipe, be sure to check out my Chocolate Mayan Bundt Cake! It’s one of the most popular posts on the blog!
Join me on Pinterest!
We all love EASY right?
These recipes will put a smile on everyone's faces!
Just click that big button to get our latest content by email.