This post may contains affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure Policy for the details.
Peach Blueberry Slab Pie.
Have you made a slab pie yet? The juicy goodness of peaches and golden buttery pastry just make your mouth water! Am I right?
I just picked up a 3 liter basket at the local market here in Downtown Toronto – those little peaches have traveled from Niagara and as we near the end of July they are at their juiciest and perfect for pies, especially a slab pie that is so easy to make, and great for serving a crowd!
Slab pies are really popular now and why wouldn’t they be? So easy to put together – you can make a fresh fruit filling – or in a pinch use canned. They freeze beautifully and travel well – a great dessert for the cottage or for us – the trailer!! So a peach blueberry slab pie it is!
Just roll out that pastry and fit it to your deep cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, roll up the edges to keep your filling in. You can top off a fruit pie with a cut out or lattice effect. For this recipe I made a streusel topping with butter and brown sugar. So yummy!
Peel the peaches and slice them thinly. A trick to getting the skin to peel easily is to place them in very hot water. It does work! Now in this recipe I didn’t have quite enough peaches – because I ate so many!
But I did have a half a cup of fresh blueberries, so added them as well.
Add a cup of sugar to the peaches and blueberries, a tsp of lemon juice and a half cup of cornstarch. Mix carefully trying not to bruise the blueberries – let it sit for a few minutes to let the fruit release some juice. Now you can cook up the filling now or just put it on the pastry uncooked. That’s what I did.
A perfect Peach Blueberry Slab Pie.
To start out roll out your pastry to a rectangular shape of about 17 X 12”.
You can use my pastry recipe – Insanely Easy Pie Crust
Place the pastry on a 15 X 10 X 1 cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, and crimp the edges – you want to make sure there is enough pastry to hold in your filling.
Spread the filling evenly across the top of the pastry.
Mix the butter and brown sugar together and sprinkle evenly over the fruit.
Bake at 375F/190C for 40 minutes until bubbly and golden.
Serve with ice cream!
- 1 cup of fresh peaches peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 1 double crust piecrust
- Roll the piecrust into a rectangle that will fit your cookie sheet with enough pastry to crimp at the edges.
- Line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil
- Place the piecrust on the cookie sheet and crimp the edges to keep the fruit in
- Mix peaches, blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch together
- Spread the filling evenly over the piecrust, and be sure to fill the corners
- Mix the softened butter with the brown sugar
- Spread the brown sugar/butter topping evenly over the fruit filling
- Bake at 375F/190C for 40 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Yum!! Yum!!