This is the Best Razzleberry Pie Recipe, a delicious blend of only the best berries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. The sweetness and tartness of this mixed berry pie is an explosion of red and purple in your mouth. Razzleberry Pie or Triple Berry Pie as it is often called, has also become very popular during the holidays as a colourful alternative to pumpkin!
This post may contains affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure Policy for the details.
The rich buttery pie crust, with that dreamy lattice top is so easy to make too, and I’ll show you how to make your very own Razzleberry Pie with a Lattice Topped Pie Crust, step by step!
RAZZLEBERRY PIE BACKSTORY
You know when you really crave something sweet and nothing, but nothing will satisfy it?
Not fruit, not something sugar free either.
We want the real deal!
Well, I recently had such a craving for pie and blueberry pie in particular. Now I could have picked up a ready-made pie from the local bakery, but that wasn’t going to cut it either.
I needed a homemade blueberry pie! I knew I had some leftover frozen blueberries, but didn’t have quite enough for my recipe.
So when you don’t have enough blueberries, what do you do?
You improvise and add other berries to make a mixed berry pie or what’s known as a razzleberry pie!
So what is razzleberry pie?
Now the experts will tell you that a true razzleberry pie or triple berry pie has blueberries, raspberries and blackberries in it.
There are lots of recipes out there for mixed berry pie.
The Pioneer Woman has an amazing mixed berry pie.
There is even a famous razzleberry pie – Marie Callender’s Razzleberry Pie. I’m sure it’s very good, but you and I like to bake from scratch, don’t we?
And we are on a quest for the perfect razzleberry pie recipe!
Now I’m not that fond of blackberries, so my version of razzleberry pie doesn’t include them. But just in case you do, I’ve included blackberries as an option in the recipe below.
To be honest I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a razzleberry pie recipe! I was shocked at all the recipes I’
I remember a dear friend of the family, June always calling her raspberry pies, “razzleberry”. She is such a sweet person and loves to bake.
So when I was putting this recipe together I immediately thought of her and her razzleberry pies.
And I really wanted to bake a pie using my new secret weapon.
What’s that you ask? It’s the Dough E-Z pastry rolling system. I recorded a video so that you can see it in action! Pretty amazing if you ask me, and the fact that I can roll out delicious and thin perfect pie crust without all the usual fuss and floury mess, has me sold on this product!
My homemade razzleberry pie recipe, is based on the Classic Blueberry Pie Recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks – A year of pie! By Ashley English.
This cookbook is so delightful and covers everything from making the pie crust to delicious pie recipes by season.
I used my favorite pie crust recipe – which is a combination of butter and shortening. I always use this recipe because it makes enough for two – 2 crust pies. That means I can freeze the balls of pastry dough that I don’t need and it’s such a time saver.
The next time you decide to make a pie, you’re all ready to go! I’ve been teaching this method of pie baking for several years now.
Here are some comments from readers and students alike!
Excellent instructions, beautiful displays of how to create the art of pastry making, very clear voice and very tasty pies and pastries. A wonderful course to take! Lili F.
I feel much more confident about trying different pastry recipes! Karrie
I really enjoyed the course and the teacher is excellent. Loved the recipes and her ideas for the crusts! Thank you for the great class! Dianne E.
Now I haven’t taught an online pie baking course in a while but I’m wondering if that would be something that you would like? I love to share my pie baking secrets!
Pie Lovers everywhere wait in anticipation for fall and the harvest, cause that’s when we make the most delicious pies!
Apple Pies, Butter Tarts and Pumpkin Pies. Plus we’ll bake savory pies too, like my famous French Canadian Tourtiere!
For now though, let’s get back to this amazingly easy razzleberry pie recipe ok?
Don’t you just love the lattice pie crust? And I’ll show you how to get that delicious golden glow too.
This triple berry pie packs a sweet punch in that deep purple goodness! And the recipe is so easy, no pre-cooking the filling!
Just mix up the berries, sugar, lemon juice, and a bit of corn starch.
Corn starch keeps the pie from becoming a soggy mess.
So here’s what you need:
- Blueberries (frozen)
- Raspberries (frozen)
- Blackberries (frozen, optional)
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Corn starch
Now for perfect flaky pie crust you will need these ingrdients:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
This is my classic pie crust recipe that you mix with pastry blender by hand, using a gentle but firm touch. You can get all of the details in my post How To Make Perfect Flaky Pie Crust or……
Want to see a video on How to Make Pie Crust? You can check it out here on my YouTube Channel!
TIPS FOR PERFECT RAZZLEBERRY PIE WITH A BUTTERY, FLAKY PIE CRUST
- Mixing cornstarch into the razzleberry pie filling keeps the pie from becoming a soggy mess
- Use Fresh or Frozen berries
- Follow all of the directions carefully
- You might want to use a pie crust shield to protect the edges of your pie crust from getting too dark and dried out
- Chill the pie crust with the pie filling in it in the fridge for about 30 minutes before baking. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
- Bake your pie in the bottom third of your oven
- As with most fruit pies, we want to get the oven really hot for the first 15 minutes – so set it at 425F and then turn it back to 375F for 50 minutes or until your crust is golden
Check out some of these amazing pie recipes!
- Peach Mango Pie
- Strawberry Pie
- Cherry Pie
- Pumpkin Pie
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
- Kahlua Pumpkin Pie
- Apple Pie
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Grasshopper Pie
- Pumpkin Slab Pie
- Peach Blueberry Slab Pie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
There are some great Razzleberry Pie recipes out there for you to try as well! Check out:
RAZZLEBERRY PIE RECIPE
I think this pie is close to perfection. Just look at those beautiful purple-y red colours that I promise will burst inside your mouth with that first bite! Your family will love this gorgeous pie and ask for it over and over. I promise! Way to go Rockstar Pie Baker!
And if you like this recipe, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card below!
- 2 cups Blueberries frozen
- 2 cups Raspberries frozen
- 2 cups Blackberries frozen, optional
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1/3 cup Corn starch
- 1 10″ pie crust made from scratch
- Combine the blueberries, sugar and cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt in a large bowl and mix well.Lightly press down on the blueberries to release their juices. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375FPour the filling into the bottom crust and spread evenly, and dot the pie with the diced butter.Roll out the remaining pastry dough for the top. We’re going to make a lattice top and you can do that with a pastry cutter.Weave the strips back and forth, just like the video. When finished turn the ends under and flute the pie crust edges.Brush it with the egg wash and return to the refrigerator for 20 minutes.Put your pie on a cookie sheet that you have lined with parchment paper or foil. This will catch the juices.Bake in the bottom third of your oven for 55 to 60 minutesEnjoy!